This is where I will put all I have on breeding figs, and it will be updated as I find new material to add. Anyone is welcome to add anything they have below, and I can either leave it there, or add it to this list, depending on your preference, just let me know.
I added some more today. 5th April 2026.
For anyone into wanting to grow figs from seeds, this paper from 2021 below could be a help."Do Pollination and Pollen Sources Affect Fig Seed Set and Quality?
First Attempt Using Chemical and Vibrational Fingerprints Coupled with Chemometrics"
Any papers books etc. on breeding figs.
- Rob
- Site Admin
- Posts: 394
- Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2026 11:21 pm
- Has thanked: 162 times
- Been thanked: 220 times
- Contact:
Any papers books etc. on breeding figs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adelaide, South Australia
EMAIL... FHDU2026@outlook.com
WEBSITE...http://www.fighunter-downunder.com/forum/
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunter.downunder
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunt ... der.pollen
EMAIL... FHDU2026@outlook.com
WEBSITE...http://www.fighunter-downunder.com/forum/
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunter.downunder
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunt ... der.pollen
- Rob
- Site Admin
- Posts: 394
- Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2026 11:21 pm
- Has thanked: 162 times
- Been thanked: 220 times
- Contact:
Re: Any papers books etc. on breeding figs.
This study from 1965 is a little different to all others, as it mentions breeding using pollen from FEMALE figs, and yes, some female figs, and especially breba figs can have just a few male flowers that will mature to give pollen. It also mentions crossing caprifigs with other caprifigs, something that most people do not think of doing. This was passed on to me from Finn Kjellberg in France, and on the 3rd page I have added in red, his view on the final conclusion. As far as Finn is aware, it is the only study done on this topic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adelaide, South Australia
EMAIL... FHDU2026@outlook.com
WEBSITE...http://www.fighunter-downunder.com/forum/
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunter.downunder
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunt ... der.pollen
EMAIL... FHDU2026@outlook.com
WEBSITE...http://www.fighunter-downunder.com/forum/
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunter.downunder
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunt ... der.pollen
- Rob
- Site Admin
- Posts: 394
- Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2026 11:21 pm
- Has thanked: 162 times
- Been thanked: 220 times
- Contact:
Re: Any papers books etc. on breeding figs.
To add to this, even Condit and Storey noticed male flowers in female figs as we see here. La Hire, in 1712, I believe was the first person to document male flowers in figs, and Condit made reference to this in the the second attachment below. The full translated study from La Hire I did in early February this year is below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adelaide, South Australia
EMAIL... FHDU2026@outlook.com
WEBSITE...http://www.fighunter-downunder.com/forum/
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunter.downunder
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunt ... der.pollen
EMAIL... FHDU2026@outlook.com
WEBSITE...http://www.fighunter-downunder.com/forum/
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunter.downunder
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunt ... der.pollen
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest