Ficus racemosa

Moderator: epiphyte

Post Reply
User avatar
Rob
Site Admin
Posts: 394
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2026 11:21 pm
Has thanked: 162 times
Been thanked: 220 times
Contact:

Ficus racemosa

Post: # 458Post Rob »

I just noticed this from a friend, he is in Indonesia, and no it is not his tree, but he did photograph it well for us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ssullivan
Full Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2026 10:28 am
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 15 times
Contact:

Re: Ficus racemosa

Post: # 479Post Ssullivan »

What does it taste like? Wonder if it’s able to cross with culinary figs. That would be cool if it can be crossed.
User avatar
Rob
Site Admin
Posts: 394
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2026 11:21 pm
Has thanked: 162 times
Been thanked: 220 times
Contact:

Re: Ficus racemosa

Post: # 480Post Rob »

I have never eaten one, so I cannot comment on that, but as far as I am aware, it can easily be pollinated using pollen from a carica caprifig. We do have racemosa in Australia, but not where I am, but I really should get a tree from a grower in Queensland or New South Wales where they do grow.
User avatar
arfabuck
Full Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2026 5:40 am
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 41 times
Contact:

Re: Ficus racemosa

Post: # 485Post arfabuck »

There are many varieties of natural ficus Racemosa in the Philippines, usually eaten as a vegetable before they are fully ripe. They grow all over and is a common site in the middle of cities.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arthur B-P, Glenbrook, New Zealand
User avatar
Rob
Site Admin
Posts: 394
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2026 11:21 pm
Has thanked: 162 times
Been thanked: 220 times
Contact:

Re: Ficus racemosa

Post: # 488Post Rob »

That is an amazing picture, they really grow in massive clusters. We have Morton bay fig trees here as very common, and huge too, but nothing like yours.
Post Reply

Return to “EDIBLE SPECIES”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest