Potting Mix
-
Me Tarzan
- New Member
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2026 4:01 am
- Has thanked: 13 times
- Been thanked: 11 times
- Contact:
Potting Mix
I usually use the Osmocote P.P for newly rooted cuttings straight out of the propagater till 12months of age then ill up pot to something different. Today I noticed Mitre10 in S.A had bags of the Searles Premium for $10. on discount so grabbed a bag , really surprised how light and airy it is with great drainage, has anyone used this for young figs ? Thoughts?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Top 10 Currently Growing -
Smith - I258 - Bourjasotte Noire - French Paillard - Italian Honey - Calderona - Panache - Black Tuscan - Coll De Dama Noire - Campaniere
Smith - I258 - Bourjasotte Noire - French Paillard - Italian Honey - Calderona - Panache - Black Tuscan - Coll De Dama Noire - Campaniere
- Rob
- Site Admin
- Posts: 394
- Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2026 11:21 pm
- Has thanked: 162 times
- Been thanked: 220 times
- Contact:
Re: Potting Mix
I have not tried any of the commercially bagged potting mixes, since I bought a bag from Bunnings here. it was just full of fungus gnats, and it was a nightmare. It was a great help though in one way, as I looked for an alternative source, and of all things it was much closer to me, and cheaper also. There is a massive composting place only minutes from me, and they sell it for $2 for a 20L bucket, but you do need to bring buckets etc, and load it yourself, or of course if you have a trailer, they will load that free.
Having said that, what you have there looks fine, but I would just look into it carefully before use, it's always better to be sure it's clean of gnats etc.
Having said that, what you have there looks fine, but I would just look into it carefully before use, it's always better to be sure it's clean of gnats etc.
Adelaide, South Australia
EMAIL... FHDU2026@outlook.com
WEBSITE...http://www.fighunter-downunder.com/forum/
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunter.downunder
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunt ... der.pollen
EMAIL... FHDU2026@outlook.com
WEBSITE...http://www.fighunter-downunder.com/forum/
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunter.downunder
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunt ... der.pollen
-
ch100
- Full Member
- Posts: 12
- Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2026 12:29 am
- Has thanked: 37 times
- Been thanked: 12 times
- Contact:
Re: Potting Mix
I had good experience with the Scott's Osmocote Citrus and Fruit Premium Mix recently. I am aware that all Osmocote mixes gained a bad reputation during the Covid years, but now there is a good chance that they sorted out their quality issues. Only time will tell, but at least for now I had 100% success in rooting cuttings in that media during the late summer/early autumn months in SA.
Encounter Bay, South Australia
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests