One thing that I always found hard to believe, is that most seedlings I have found in my area are common, not Smyrna. I am certainly not complaining, and it is what has had me more than ever, interested in testing all of the caprifig trees here for persistence. I will continue this testing this season coming, but I am now fairly confident that many will be either partially persistent, or totally persistent, since many have already produced profichi figs without wasps present.
One of my best roadside wild seedlings is this one, but having said that, being a wild tree, getting a good mature fig before the birds find them is rarely or never possible. Last season in mid Spring I cut an airlayer from this tree, one I put on late Autumn, and nothing grew before winter. I would really like to taste this one pollinated, and hopefully this coming season, my tree will have figs and they will be pollinated.
This is good unpollinated, but I think a pollinated one would be excellent!
- Rob
- Site Admin
- Posts: 394
- Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2026 11:21 pm
- Has thanked: 162 times
- Been thanked: 220 times
- Contact:
This is good unpollinated, but I think a pollinated one would be excellent!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adelaide, South Australia
EMAIL... FHDU2026@outlook.com
WEBSITE...http://www.fighunter-downunder.com/forum/
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunter.downunder
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunt ... der.pollen
EMAIL... FHDU2026@outlook.com
WEBSITE...http://www.fighunter-downunder.com/forum/
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunter.downunder
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunt ... der.pollen
-
Figgywiggy
- Full Member
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 9:41 am
- Has thanked: 38 times
- Been thanked: 22 times
- Contact:
Re: This is good unpollinated, but I think a pollinated one would be excellent!
What's the best method for testing persistence do you reckon?
Figgy obsessed! Growing in Geelong, Victoria, Australia. 
- Rob
- Site Admin
- Posts: 394
- Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2026 11:21 pm
- Has thanked: 162 times
- Been thanked: 220 times
- Contact:
Re: This is good unpollinated, but I think a pollinated one would be excellent!
It needs to be grown in an area free of any chance of wasps, or carefully bagged to prevent wasp entry, and for the tree to be termed persistent, it needs to mature all crops it has, so we are told. I am very interested testing a tree that is only persistent with the profichi crop, just to see if seeds will produce a San Pedro?
Adelaide, South Australia
EMAIL... FHDU2026@outlook.com
WEBSITE...http://www.fighunter-downunder.com/forum/
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunter.downunder
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunt ... der.pollen
EMAIL... FHDU2026@outlook.com
WEBSITE...http://www.fighunter-downunder.com/forum/
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunter.downunder
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunt ... der.pollen
-
Mahboob Ahmad
- New Member
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2026 5:54 am
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: This is good unpollinated, but I think a pollinated one would be excellent!
Medium sized...!
Above 50 grms is a good size I think!
Above 50 grms is a good size I think!
- Rob
- Site Admin
- Posts: 394
- Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2026 11:21 pm
- Has thanked: 162 times
- Been thanked: 220 times
- Contact:
Re: This is good unpollinated, but I think a pollinated one would be excellent!
Yes, that is my thought too, or just under 50g, and larger. I have had some over 100g types that I find totally amazing, and you certainly do not need too many of them in one sitting, to be content.
Adelaide, South Australia
EMAIL... FHDU2026@outlook.com
WEBSITE...http://www.fighunter-downunder.com/forum/
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunter.downunder
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunt ... der.pollen
EMAIL... FHDU2026@outlook.com
WEBSITE...http://www.fighunter-downunder.com/forum/
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunter.downunder
FACEBOOK....https://www.facebook.com/groups/fighunt ... der.pollen
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest